Wired Canvas

It seems some businesses will do anything to keep your custom, to the point that they lock the doors and make you dance suggestively until they feel satisfied that you reallly don't want their service anymore.

When I moved to London I promised myself that the sacrifice I made on space (small one bedroom flat) would be made up by surrounding myself in culture, interesting places and good food. A subscription to Time Out seemed like a good idea.

After a while like all good resolutions, life (work) gets in the way and the magazines started piling up, unopened. Time to cancel…

Sent: 14 August 2011 20:12
To: timeoutsubs@cisubs.co.uk
Subject: Time Out Cancellation

Hi,

I'd like to cancel my subscription to time out please.

Many thanks.

Rob

On 17 Aug 2011, at 08:40, timeout@service.co.uk wrote:

Dear Mr Foddering

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Time Out magazine.

Unfortunately due to our new procedures we are unable to accept cancellation requests by email.

You can either cancel your contract and receive no more issues but you will not be entitled to a refund or cancel now but receive the remaining issues on your contract.

If I can please ask you to send in your letter of a cancellation request to the address below and they will be able to assist you further.

Freepost RRAH-BEUG-RAXU
Timeout Subscriptions
800 Guillat Avenue
Kent Science Park
ME9 8GU

If I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Duncan Brush

Email Response Team - Time Out magazine

www.timeout.com

Sent: 17 August 2011 08:42
To: timeout@service.co.uk
Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation

Super,

So if I print out the email and post it to you that's acceptable is it?

Is this part of your progressive environmental policy, or just a way of making it more difficult to cancel my subscription?

Can you let me know why I have to notify you in writing and what terms and conditions I signed that requires me to do this?

Thanks

Rob

On 17 Aug 2011, at 10:46, timeout@service.co.uk wrote:

Dear Mr Foddering,

Thank you for your recent email regarding the Time Out.

I am able to confirm that we have received your enquiry and are currently investigating it. As soon as we have completed the investigation we will get back to you.

If you require any further assistance in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Duncan Brush

Email Response Team - Time Out magazine

www.timeout.com

Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation
Date: 23 August 2011 09:49:18 GMT+01:00
To: timeout@service.co.uk

Any news on this please?

Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation
Date: 24 August 2011 15:17:05 GMT+01:00
To: timeout@service.co.uk

HELLLO?

Sent: 25 August 2011 16:40
To: timeout@service.co.uk
Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation

Pleading LetterHello Time out people,

Please can you print out the attached, put it in an envelope and post it to yourself at this address:

Freepost RRAH-BEUG-RAXU
Timeout Subscriptions
800 Guillat Avenue
Kent Science Park
ME9 8GU

Please feel free to confirm that my subscription is now cancelled.

Many thanks.

Rob

On 25 Aug 2011, at 17:17, timeout@service.co.uk wrote:

Dear Mr Foddering

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Time Out magazine.

Freepost RRAH-BEUG-RAXU
Timeout Subscriptions
800 Guillat Avenue
Kent Science Park
ME9 8GU

This is the link for the terms and conditions.

Sent: 25 August 2011 17:22
To: timeout@service.co.uk
Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation

Hi Duncan,

Okay so you caught me.

I actually have a diagnosed psychological condition - it's called Medorthophobia, I have a fear of pens and it makes it difficult for me to write letters.

Considering my condition, please can you unsubscribe me?

Many thanks.

Rob

On 25 Aug 2011, at 19:32, timeout@service.co.uk wrote:

Dear Mr Foddering,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Time Out magazine.

Unfortunately I am afraid I am still unable to cancel as you can type a letter and post it to us. You have already typed a letter as per your earlier e-mail so please post this to the Freepost I address I have provided you with.

Also the phobia you have mentioned has nothing to do with a fear of pens which is another reason I am declining cancelling by e-mail.

Kind Regards

Duncan Brush

Email Response Team
Time Out magazine

www.timeout.com

Sent: 26 August 2011 16:23
To: timeout@service.co.uk
Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation

Dear Mr Brush,

Or may I all you Duncan?

Duncan,

Yet again you've caught me out... or have you?

This is almost like an episode of Scooby Doo... so let's pretend I'm Velma and your the 'caretaker' of this haunted theme park.

Let's analyse the clues:

1) I didn't type that letter, DO YOU THINK I WOULD CHOOSE SUCH OFFENSIVE NOTLET TO TYPE ON?

2) All my correspondence is sent by dictation to Bangalore, which is in turn transcribed by my P.A. Ramesh and sent to you by email.

Can you see what a detrimental affect having a fear of pens is having on my life?

I could of course ask my P.A. in Bangalore to send you a letter, however I suspect with the Indian post being the way it is, it might take longer to get to you than my subscription is actually valid for. Then we would end up in this mess again wouldn't we?

3) You said in point 3 below that you are declining to cancel my subscription by email. To me this means that you do actually have the ability to cancel my subscription by email. If you decline then you also have the option to accept, do you not?

Given my extenuating circumstances, I'm sure you would agree that 'accepting' my cancellation by email is the right thing to do?

All the best.

Rob (and Ramesh!)

P.S. Would photos of me dressed as Velma from Scooby Doo swing it?

On 27 Aug 2011, at 11:45, timeout@service.co.uk wrote:

Dear Mr. Foddering,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Time Out magazine.

I have read your e-mail but unfortunately we do require a typed letter sent to us via post to request cancellation. I do not have the ability to cancel by e-mail and when I said declined I meant that I am unable to cancel by e-mail and declining your request.

If you are unable to do this I would ask for you to contact your bank or building or society to cancel the Direct Debit payments with them.

Thank you and please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further assistance.

Kind Regards

Duncan Brush

Email Response Team - Time Out magazine

www.timeout.com

Sent: 30 August 2011 14:14
To: timeout@service.co.uk
Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation

Hi Duncan,

That's great, so all I need to do is cancel my direct debit and it will automatically cancel my subscription?

Rob

On 30 Aug 2011, at 14:39, timeout@service.co.uk wrote:

Dear Mr Foddering,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Time Out magazine.

I can confirm that if you cancel with yiur bank then they will cancel the next payment.

Kind Regards

Duncan Brush

Email Response Team - Time Out magazine

www.timeout.com

Sent: 30 August 2011 14:40
To: timeout@service.co.uk
Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation

Hi Duncan,

Could you confirm that in writing to me please?

Your terms and conditions don't mention anything about it and I'm worried about legal ramifications.

Many thanks.

Rob

On 30 Aug 2011, at 14:51, timeout@service.co.uk wrote:

Dear Mr Foddering,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Time Out magazine.

If you can cancel at your bank or building society and then e-mail me to let me know you have done this then I can check the system and can then confirm cancellation.

Thank you and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further assistance in the meantime.

Kind Regards

Duncan Brush

Email Response Team - Time Out magazine

www.timeout.com

Sent: 30 August 2011 15:40
To: timeout@service.co.uk
Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation

Dear Duncan,

That's great.

So you're effectively saying that I don't need to write you a letter to cancel my subscription?

Many Thanks

Rob

On 30 Aug 2011, at 16:16, timeout@service.co.uk wrote:

Dear Mr Foddering,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Time Out magazine.

I can confirm if you are unable to write us a letter than please contact your bank or building society to cancel.

Kind Regards

Duncan Brush

Email Response Team - Time Out magazine

www.timeout.com

Sent: 30 August 2011 17:51
To: timeout@service.co.uk
Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation

Hi Duncan,

Excuse my impertinence but when I emailed you on the 14th of August wouldn't it have been easier to just tell me that?

If I post you a self addressed envelope will you confirm in writing that my subscription is cancelled?

Many thanks.

Rob

On 31 Aug 2011, at 09:28, timeout@service.co.uk wrote:

Dear Mr Foddering,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Time Out magazine.

My supervisor will cancel your subscription on this occasion via e-mail.

Time Out have a policy regarding cancellation which I was adhering to when you first e-mailed in so I could not have confirmed this at the time of your first request.

My supervisor has cancelled at her discretion for you on this occasion only.

Your last issue will be dated 12th October 2011.

I have requested for a letter to be sent to you regarding cancellation.

Kind Regards

Duncan Brush

Email Response Team - Time Out magazine

www.timeout.com

Subject: Re: Time Out Cancellation
Date: 31 August 2011 14:13:22 GMT+01:00
To: timeout@service.co.uk

Many thanks Duncan, you have demonstrated customer support of extreme rigour.

Would you still like some photos of me dressed as Velma from Scooby Doo?

Edit: 06:02:2012

I forgot to include the cancellation letter and the re-subscription letter I received 1 week later...

Time Out Magazine Subscription CancellationTime Out Magazine Subscription Offer